It should not be assumed that this site is publicly accessible and it may be on private property. Do not trespass.
Monument record TQ 74 SE 301 - Blantyre House
Summary
Blantyre House was built between 1911 and 1914 to serve as a farm training school for boys.
Location
| Grid reference | Centred TQ 7526 4010 (178m by 273m) |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | TQ74SE |
| County | KENT |
| District | TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT |
| Civil Parish | GOUDHURST, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT |
Map
Type and Period (2)
Full Description
Blantyre House was built between 1911 and 1914 to serve as a farm training school for boys. It became a detention centre in 1954. The detention centre closed in 1987 and reopened later the same year to house long-term male prisoners.
<1> Leech, M., 1997, The Prisons Handbook (Serial). SKE58550.
Sources/Archives (1)
- <1> SKE58550 Serial: Leech, M.. 1997. The Prisons Handbook.
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Non-Intrusive Event: RCHME: Prisons Project (EKE25526)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2025 7:49PM