Building record TR 16 NW 1019 - Our Lady Immaculate, Northwood Road, Whitstable
Summary
Location
| Grid reference | TR 1159 6686 (point) |
|---|---|
| Map sheet | TR16NW |
| Civil Parish | WHITSTABLE, CANTERBURY, KENT |
| County | KENT |
| District | CANTERBURY, KENT |
Map
Type and Period (1)
Full Description
The building is visible on the 3rd (1907-1923), 4th (1929-1952) ed. OS and modern maps. In 1899 the Sisters of Mercy purchased a site in Tankerton for an industrial school and convent. Land was also purchased for a church, and a small iron building was erected at the junction of Northwood Road and Castle Road in 1899. The convent and St Vincent’s Schools opened in 1905 and a new church was built on the land between them, with a nave to serve the laity and a transept each for the convent and school. The architect was Thomas Porter of Seasalter (1836-1921).The church closed in 1986 and is now a conference centre.
<1> Kent County Council, 1987-, Kent County Council: holding record (Miscellaneous Material). SKE59004.
Sources/Archives (1)
- <1> SKE59004 Miscellaneous Material: Kent County Council. 1987-. Kent County Council: holding record.
Finds (0)
Protected Status/Designation
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 8 2026 11:12AM